Amanda Peet & Paul Offit: Perfect Together

Dear dear dear Amanda Peet…. you should stick to what you know best…. D-list acting. Picking up the phone and having a conversation with a vaccine patent holder and one who makes huge money off of those who vaccinate is not anyone’s idea of qualifiable vaccine research. It seems you put more thought into the sunscreen you haven’t put on your child’s skin than the toxins you have injected into your child’s bloodstream.

This blog post sums it up pretty well…
Amanda Peet thinks parents who don’t vaccinate are “parasites”

I guess negative press is better than no press at all – talk about trying to ride a controversy to raise one’s image. Pretty sad actually. Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to add… subtract the parasite/vaccine comments from the article and you still look like an idiot. Congrats if this is what you were going for.

9 Responses to “Amanda Peet & Paul Offit: Perfect Together”

1. rei says:

I came across the same article today and just posted about it! Like your post better, though. You made funny what I couldn’t — and in 100 words or less. 🙂

Thanks for linking a post of mine and for all of the information that you have posted here. It’s easy access for parents like me. And I think that starting this site because of the fear for what would happen to Nicholas if something happened to you… brilliant. Thank you for sharing your story with the world.

🙂 Thanks!! and thanks for writing your post. It’s good to see parents actually stop before it’s too late – and to share that news with others around you. More and more parents are coming out of the woodwork to say that vaccinating their child(ren) scare them more than anything and by you speaking up, you are letting them know they are not alone. Thank you for that. (and all of the unborn children who won’t become autistic because you helped their mom & dad’s radar go up and take notice to what’s going on here thank you too!)

3. rei says:

Do you have entries on when you found out Nicholas had Autism, and which vaccines in particular may have been the culprit? My son was on schedule up to his 9 month check up, and I haven’t given him any more. I’m paranoid about his development because I’m terrified that I may have stopped it too late. (He was around 9 months when Jenny McCarthy was on Oprah.) He is for the most part a normal boy, except his vocabulary is about 25 words… pediatricians say it’s supposed to be at least 50 words by the time he’s two. (He’s 22 months now.) He’s also very picky with food and hates to sit still. He knows how to say “no” when I ask him to do something he doesn’t want, but he doesn’t know how to say “yes” when he wants something I offer. Instead, he repeats the name of the object or food I’m offering. I’ve read that this is echolalia and is very common for Autistic children. Are my concerns justified or do you think I am just being paranoid? Any advice you could give would be great. Thanks and I’m so happy for Nicholas’ progress! Keep us posted!

With Nicholas, I think that they all contributed to it, It was like one blow after another – I do believe that the final round he had was the straw that broke the camel’s back – I will go back through my notes and look it up… I’ll get back to you on that.
    I think his vocabulary being 25 words is pretty normal, if I remember correctly from when I was so concerned that he didn’t have that many words by 2. From what I read and heard at the time, many boys have a language explosion around 24 months, so that could be right around the corner for you – but 25 words, I think is pretty normal. Also, are you sure that he has 25 words and not more? From what I have read, they count approximations as words – like if he says ba for ball. baba for bottle, that sort of thing. He may just have more words than you think. The fact that he is understanding what you are saying to say No back to you – that is good. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe what you are seeing is echolalia. Is he doing the same thing to stuff he sees on TV? or in other contexts? Or just repeating the stuff that he wants?? I’m seeing alot of that now with Nicholas (him repeating words I am saying) and it’s because he is now understanding me so much better that he’s learning all of these new words.
    Today, I think any parent’s concerns about vaccinating and autism are justified.
    Does he have any behaviors which worry you? Anything that he does that you think is strange? Any GI issues? Allergies? Can you redirect him to other activities easily? Does he answer to his name?
    Your best bet if you are concerned is to have your local Early Intervention program come in and evaluate him. I wouldn’t wait to set up an appointment, because it could take a while for them to come. Then at the very least, they’ll be able to tell you where he sits as far as speech and other abilities are.
    Check out this checklist when you have a moment:

5. rei says:

Took your advice and set up an appointment with a local program in my area called Child Find.
    Other than constipation, he doesn’t really have any GI issues. As far as allergies, we went through a couple of months of not knowing what in his formula was making his scalp weep. Literally weep. He didn’t have any problems when I was breastfeeding, but when I went back to work when he was 4 months old, I put him on powder formula and that’s when the allergic rxns started. We never determined which component of powder formula caused the rxn, but putting him on the Ready to Feed formula helped 100%. I have tried researching each ingredient and comparing the ingredients to the RTF formula to try to hone in on the allergy through the process of elimination, but still… nothing. I recently took him to an allergist and found out that he was allergic to nuts, eggs, and rye. All of which are not in powdered formula. It’s very odd.
    He doesn’t really have behaviors that worry me, but he used to flap his arms a couple of months ago. That has since stopped. He also didn’t have any separation anxiety until he was around one and a half. He does answer to his name (albeit, only when he wants to) and he does maintain good eye contact and also does so spontaneously. Writing this out, I do realize I might just be paranoid, but I thank you for your insight and for listening and for your advice.
    I’ll keep you posted about the results of his eval. 🙂

I know what you mean about trying to find the magic ingredient that he’s reacting to. I did the same thing with a supplement that he was doing fantastic on, but we had to take him off of it due to another ingredient clashing with his mb-12 injections. I finally found it, but, what a ton of work!

From what I’ve read, and it’s been a while, there is an issue with the can the powdered formulas come in. I made a mental note of it, since we were passed formula at that point – but, you never know, that could have been the issue. So glad RTF formula is working for you!

Which allergy test did they do? IgE, IgG or skin scratch test?

Glad you made an appointment – always better to do it sooner than later and put your mind at ease! Good for you for being so proactive for your child! 🙂

Please let me know how it goes!!

7. rei says:

You know, an allergy to the can actually makes sense. I’ll definitely look into that! Thanks so much! For his allergy test, he had an IgE done when he was about 6 months and then a skin scratch test when he was one year and two months. The blood test revealed an allergy to eggs only, but the scratch test revealed additional allergies to nuts and rye. The doc did say that the skin scratch test was going to be more accurate. It’s so hard that he’s allergic to these foods, esp with him being a picky eater!

I read your more recent post of Nicholas calling you Michelle. My nephew (my sister in law’s son) is autistic. (He’s 6.) He quite frequently calls his parents Aileen and Greg. Is this a characteristic of autism?

I’m honestly so proactive about my son because I’ve seen what my nephew and his mom go through. If it weren’t for knowing them, I’d have likely ignored all the hype. It’s bittersweet. Of course, I am not glad that my nephew is autistic, but by researching as much as I can and preventing it in my own son, I’m hoping that his condition doesn’t go in vain.

Not that I’ve ever heard. He started saying Hey Paul yesterday after hearing me call my husband, so then to be funny, I wanted to see if he could say my name and he said “hey michelle” a few times. Then today, when I was trying to finish typing something, mommy didn’t work, so he started “hey michelle” — the more we laughed, the more he did it.

I don’t blame you for being pro-active at all. I put everything out here so people learn from what we’ve been through. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone in the world… not even my worst enemy (not that I have any, but still)
    The thing with allergies and allergists is that allergists seem to have differing opinions on what tests mean something vs what tests are useless. It’s been our experience that all of the different allergy tests give us yet another piece to the puzzle (and that goes for anyone really). Has he ever had a reaction to rye or eggs? Nuts I wouldn’t test for anything – but Nicholas has had peanuts and peanut butter and even eats the chex mix (which has peanut dust) and has never had a reaction – at all. When his allergy test came back positive and high, I was really surprised.

9. rei says:

Hi Michelle,

He has actually had a pretty bad rxn to a cookie that didn’t actually have nuts in it. When I looked more closely, the packaging said that it was manufactured in a factory that made other products containing nuts. 🙁 I wish I had paid more attention to the warning, b/c I’ve read that babies aren’t supposed to come in contact before the age of 2, b/c if hey do, you can actually CAUSE an allergic rxn. So I totally blew that one. As far as the eggs and rye go, we’ve never exposed him to rye, but eggs I think he does get a mild rash. Nothing serious. The docs did say that blood allergy testing was less reliable than the scratch testing. That’s interesting that Nicholas tested positive for things that he has eaten without any problems… good thing, though!